LUZBY BERNAL

lunes, 24 de enero de 2011

REBBETZIN CHAYA MUSHKA SCHNEERSON

Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka



Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka Schneerson, of righteous memory (1901-1988)
Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka Schneerson, of righteous memory (1901-1988)
The year was 1994. I had recently moved to Crown Heights,
Brooklyn after graduating from college in San Diego, 
California. It was quite a change for me, the geographical 
shift from the beaches of La Jolla to the noise and cold 
of New York being the least of it. More so, I had left 
my politically correct, and extremely liberal college 
environment to immerse myself in intensive Judaic 
studies and try to get a glimpse of understanding 
into the life long question, "Who am I?"
I had left my politically correct, and extremely 
liberal college environment
Although spiritual knowledge was something I was 
seeking, eating was also one of my needs, so 
I immediately started to look for a job. I soon heard that 
a woman was in need of a gymnastic teacher. Having 
done gymnastics for years and coached during college,
I was thrilled to discover that there was a small gym 
program being held in this woman's basement for 
little five year old Chassidic girls. I was ecstatic. 
Granted, it was not a gym like I was used to,
but I knew I could improvise, and just wanted an 
opportunity to work with children and teach them 
the very things I loved so much.
Little did I know who would be teaching whom.
My first day teaching I was a bit nervous. 
I had never lived in an "Orthodox" community before 
and was quite new to such a lifestyle. But having 
just spent a year in Israel and learning in yeshiva 
there, I felt like I had a pretty good idea as to what 
I was in for, until I started roll call.
There were twelve girls registered in my class. I
began to read the names: Mushka, Chaya Mushka, 
Mushkie, Moussia, Chaya Moussia, Mussie…I kid 
you not, all twelve girls had different versions of t
he same name. At first I thought that perhaps there 
was some law or rule I hadn't yet learned about. 
I couldn't possibly fathom how every single girl 
had the same name. (And, needless to say, we
immediately decided to call the girls by their 
last names…)
When I asked them what their name meant,
why they had been given those names, they all 
excitedly explained that they were named 
after the RebbetzinRebbe's wife. Even though 
they were only five, they were filled with 
beautiful stories of who this woman was and 
why they were so proud to carry her name. 
As I watched these little kindergartners speak, 
there was a pride and power that they had when 
talking about her, and it was immediately 
clear that this was a very special woman.
Chaya Mushka, the
These girls were of the first of thousands of 
Çgirls to be named after her. Rebbetzin Chaya 
Mushka had passed away the twenty second of 
the month of the Hebrew month of Shevat, in 
1988.
My little group of Chaya Mushka's would
be the beginning of my learning process
I was awe struck. I had heard little of the 
"Rebbetzin," as she was called, but clearly 
she was a woman whose influence and spirit
permeated all who knew her or knew of her.
While I hadn't been fortunate enough to meet her
in her life, I knew that my little group of Chaya 
Mushka's would be the beginning of my learning 
process of discovering who she was and what 
she embodied.
The first thing I was shown was her picture. 
Unquestionably, she was a very beautiful woman. 
She was stunning. And yet, there was something 
about her that was so graceful, so royal, so holy. 
It spoke to me through the photograph as I stared 
at her face and looked into her eyes. She 
embodied the concept that is often attributed 
to her, Kol Kevuda Bat Melech Penima, "All the 
honor of the daughter of the King is within." 
This is not to say that externally she was not also 
beautiful, but that true beauty shines from 
within and illuminates all that is outside of itself. 
Furthermore, those who don't deserve honor 
often seek it. Those who are truly honorable
in the recesses of their souls, need nothing
external to validate that.
The Rebbetzin did not have an easy life and 
yet she was not known to complain about it. 
Being married to the Rebbe, the spiritual 
leader of hundreds of thousands of Jews 
throughout the world, meant that her husband 
did not belong to her alone.
Sharing the man you love is never easy, and yet 
it was something she chose to do and encouraged. 
She recognized his potential, his role, his ability 
and the way his Chassidim needed him, and made 
that her focus. For many, when they spoke with 
her or met her, they were completely unaware 
of who she was. She wanted it that way.
She was also extremely intelligent, cultured and 
well read. She studied literature in university 
after she married, at the same time when the 
Rebbe was studying. And she was an avid reader. 
To her many friends she was Chaya Mushka. 
To the rest of the world, she was the Rebbetzin,
the Lubavitcher Rebbe's wife.
And yet, she was careful not to abuse the power 
that title gave her. It was not flaunted. 
She did not seek special privileges or treatment. 
Rather, she was a very private and unassuming 
woman, never desiring to draw attention to 
herself. When she would identify who she was, 
it was always as "Mrs. Schneersohn from 
President Street."
She allowed the Rebbe to be Rebbe--someone 
who influenced and changed world Jewry
She would avoid shopping or going to public places.
It is understandable given the reputation and 
status that she had. Yet what is most fascinating, 
most powerful, was her reason for not going. 
Unlike the common situation where one would 
not want to deal with the attention and people 
pestering, for Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka the 
reason was quite the opposite. She didn't want 
to make other people uncomfortable. She knew 
that people would want to please her and give 
her special attention, and not only didn't she 
want or need that, she didn't want anyone else 
to feel the need to attend to her.
Though she didn't want respect and 
acknowledgement, she most certainly received it. 
For all who knew her and knew of her, knew how
much she deserved the utmost treatment. 
She allowed the Rebbe to be Rebbe--someone 
who influenced and changed world Jewry on 
a scale that we cannot possibly measure. 
The Rebbe was able to be who he was because 
of who the Rebbetzin truly was.
And while she endured the test of biological 
childlessness, she most certainly had and has 
countless children who consider her their mother 
in so many ways. Not only those named in her 
memory and honor, but the numerous 
educational institutions around the world that 
proudly bear her name. It was known that when 
she would be asked if she had any children, 
she would respond, "The Chassidim are my 
children." Not only was this true then, but i
n some ways it is even more true now.
Almost thirteen years have passed since 
I taught that gymnastics class. And I am still 
seeking to understand on a deeper level, 
"Who am I?" I hope to spend my life trying 
to know the answer. And those twelve little 
Chaya Mushkas are not little girls anymore. 
They are now nineteen year old young women
who are entering their adult lives as powerful
women who can make a difference in this
world. Young women who carry the 
responsibility of a name and the legacy 
of a woman who has helped me understand 
how I want to answer my question. For the 
Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka taught me, taught 
us all, that true beauty stems from within, and 
that those most worthy of respect, honor, 
acknowledgement and awe, are those that do 
not seek it nor want it.


By Sara Esther Crispe   More articles...  |   RSS Listing of Newest Articles by this Author
Sara Esther Crispe, a writer, inspirational speaker and mother of four, is the editor of TheJewishWoman.org. She is also the editor of the Society and Living section of Chabad.org. To book Sara Esther for a speaking engagement, please click here.

No hay comentarios: